Welcome to Year 6!
Our team consists of:
Mrs Shepherd - Class Teacher
Miss Mathews - Teaching Assistant
This half term we are working on: -
Land of the Free
This half term we have a Geography focus.
As geographers we will:
• Study the continent of North America
• Compare and contrast North America with the United Kingdom
We will find out about some of the countries, capitals, cities, landmarks and wildlife.
We will start by looking at maps of North America so we can see where it is and name some of its countries.
We will then focus our studies on the United States of America (USA), looking at:
• Some of the amazing landscapes, wildlife and plant life of the National Parks
• The vast mountain ranges of the Rockies, Appalachians and Sierra-Nevada
• Some active volcanoes, such as Mount St. Helens, which has erupted many times, including a major eruption in 1980
• The San Andreas fault – the USA’s earthquake zone
• The Great Lakes that border the USA and Canada, and Niagara Falls
• We will discover some of the incredible weather features such as the violent tornadoes in ‘Tornado Alley’, the summer wild fires of California and the dramatic drops in temperature that some states experience during winter
• Some of the great rivers, such as the Colorado and the Mississippi
• The states and cities, focusing on the skyscrapers and monuments of New York, the home of Hollywood – Los Angeles, the home of the Golden Gate Bridge – San Francisco, the Windy City – Chicago, and the home of government – Washington DC
• The Hoover dam in Arizona
• Land use and economic activity in some of the areas we study
We will study some of the diverse cultures across the USA, including a study of some Native American people.
We will find out about some of the national festivals, such as Thanksgiving and the 4th of July. We will explore the origins of the national flag: the Stars and Stripes. We will also look at some past historical figures such as John F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King.
Our PE lessons this term will be Circuit Training on a Tuesday afternoon and Games on a Friday afternoon but please make sure your PE kit is in school all week.
Home Learning will be issued on a Friday and is to be completed and handed in by Wednesday. They will be given a weekly LSCWC spelling pattern sheet and activity sheet to be completed in pencil or blue pen. They will have either an English or Maths activity to complete, relating to the work we have covered that week. Most sheets will be stuck into their Home Learning book before they bring the book home.
Although Y6 are no longer using the Renaissance Reading scheme, they are still expected to read at least 2 / 3 times a week at home and record it in their planner.
The PTFA have purchased a great times table package for the school called 'TT Rockstars'. There are lots of different areas the children could go into including the ‘Garage’ or ‘Studio’. The Garage is a training mode where they work through the tables (recommended) and the Studio is random questions up to the 12x12 times table. Ultimately, we hope this makes learning the times tables fun while they become more fluent and knowledgeable in their times table recall. They can also earn ‘coins’ to update their avatar rock star!
If you have any concerns, or question, please do not hesitate to contact us. We can be reached through Class Dojo or our class e-mail account ( email@example.com), or the school telephone number. We are usually in the classroom most days after school , or from 8.40am in the morning.
Mrs Shepherd & Ms. Mathews
Key dates for your diary:
6th Jan - 14th Feb ~ Term 3
Monday 3rd Feb ~ Y6 SATs Parents meeting @ 6pm
17th - 21st Feb ~ Spring Break
Monday 24th Feb ~ SATs Booster Programme starts
24th Feb - 27th March ~ Term 4
25th March ~ Easter Service
Friday 27th March ~ End of term